2012-10-03

My First half dozen Months As a Skilled Photographer

English: Jack Dorsey and Barack Obama at Twitt...
English: Jack Dorsey and Barack Obama at Twitter Town 
 How and who you pitch your business to is that the key to being "successful". I chatted to a fellow photographer the other day on Twitter, she was hoping to break in to the marriage business however was struggling to attract shoppers. Her website was getting a heap of hits, however no-one was biting. I asked how much she was charging and it absolutely was simply too much for somebody while not a portfolio to duplicate her prices. I suggested her to halve them and she virtually instantly had a pair of inquiries. The people she needed to attract were people who couldn't afford a semi-expensive photographer...
they needed somebody low-cost, and if they were good it had been a bonus. Luckily she could be a really good photographer, therefore once she's shot a few of these low-cost weddings and has a great portfolio she will be able to then increase her prices and attract those with a little additional cash to pay, who also are a little additional choosy regarding who they hire.

Thus what have I learn?

I set up a photography business in October 2011 and hoped to at least one day conquer the globe as a contract photographer, taking pictures of the made and famous, traveling the world and having a bucket load of fun along the manner... and if that didn't happen then at least make enough money to possess photography as my 1st and only income, shooting weddings, family portraits and commercial work. The latter perhaps not being quite as exciting as the former, however still I'd be my own boss and get pleasure from having the artistic freedom a 9-five is unfortunately lacking.

Be low-cost but not for long:

I'll write another article once 12 months to update you all on how things have progressed, but I hope this text is useful for different photographers hoping to interrupt in to a very crowded and competitive marketplace.


Enhanced by Zemanta

No comments:

Post a Comment